Due to the lack of financial resources, the Somerville Youth and Recreation Foundation was formed on 1 January 2006 to financially assist the Somerville Youth Service program and the Somerville Recreation Department activities for the children (youth) of Somerville, Massachusetts.
This foundation is formed exclusively for charitable purposes. The principle objective is to elicit funding through solicitation, grant writing and fund raising to support the immediate needs of the youth in Somerville by providing the youth with opportunities that address their activity needs, interest and aspiration's for the future. The youth of Somerville need educational and sporting programs to help foster and nurture their growth.
By supporting this foundation, you will be providing access for the youth of Somerville to just a few of the following activities and programs listed below:
- Literary Lights for Children Reading Program
- New England Aquarium trip
- Museum of Science trip
- Franklin Park Zoo trip
- Stoneham Zoo trip
- Sponsoring youths to participate in arts/sciences based programs
- Boston Children's Museum trip
- Camping overnight with youths, parents/volunteers
- Youth employment programs
- Community events: Family Day at Trum Field (neighborhood social gatherings)
- Mentoring program's
- The Special Needs Program to family with children who have special needs.
- Specialty Program's for young children at the Capuano School.
- High School Sport Scholarships.
- XBox games and controllers for Youth Service Program
- Somerville Community Youth Service April Vacation Try-Athalon
- Cartooning Class Sponsorship
- Best Buddies Special Needs
- Bicycle Repair
- Ski Program Nashoba Valley
- Wayside Youth & Family's HIV and Substance Abuse Prevention
- Summer Day Program, offering a summer camp program in response to the community needs
- Tour of Fenway Park
- Georges Island Cruise
- Inter-City School Track Meet
- 7-8 Grade Elementary School Flag Football tournament
- Kids Fishing Derby
- Boys and Girls Youth Basketball Leagues
- Jr. NBA/WNBA Skills Challenge
- Somerville PRIDE Girls Basketball